At Shannon Oaks Church We are a group of Christ followers who are learning to act justly with kindness to all, to love and extend mercy, and to walk humbly with our God.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
- God exists in 3 persons: Father, Son & Spirit (Matt 28:19)
- The Bible gives us God’s written Word (2 Tim 3:16-17)
- The Holy Spirit Gives us God’s spoken Word (1 Cor 2:10 / 2 Pet 1:20-21)
- God’s Word is truth (John 17:17)
- Everything was created by God for God (John 1:3 / Col 1:16)
- Adam & Eve introduced bad news and death into all humanity by disconnecting themselves from the source of life (Gen 3 / Romans 5:12)
- Sin is evidence of our disconnection from the source of life. It is mankind’s feeble attempt to satisfy himself and others in the way that only God can (Rom 8:3 / 1 John 3:6-9)
- God gives us good news (the Gospel) that we can escape the empty and exhausting existence of disconnection and reconnect to the source of life to experience life abundantly, both now and forever (John 3:16 / John 10:10 / Rom 7:15-20)
- We can only begin to experience this life by agreeing with Jesus about who He is and who we are because of Him. His truth often misaligns with what our physical senses can discern (Rom 1:17 / 2 Tim 3:15 / 1 John 3:1-2)
- Each child of God has a unique purpose within his family that, when exercised, glorifies God and manifests life in us and through us (1 Cor 12 / Eph 4:11-12)
- Life on Earth is intended for maturity and multiplication. Maturity occurs as the lives of God’s children find alignment with their identity, as indicated by God’s word of truth. Multiplication occurs through relationship as one leads another to reconnect to God and pursue maturity (Matt 28:19-20 / 2 Cor 5:17 / Eph 4:11-16)
- The Holy Spirit qualifies, unites and empowers God’s children to walk in the fullness of this life (1 Cor 12:1)
Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to talk about the Gospel without making earthly death the focus. In fact, the Gospel has more to do with life than it does death...much more! In short, through Jesus (and only through Jesus), we have access to everything we were created for.
- We become fully-loved, fully-accepted children restored to their true and perfect Father
- We become completely and eternally forgiven for our rebellious ways of trying to do things our way
- We become rightly entitled to the blessings of Heaven
- We become victoriously empowered by the Holy Spirit to live by faith, not by sight
- We become purposefully reconnected to God's family
We can't attain these things from God on our own, even on our best day. It is God's gift to us only through the life, death, burial, resurrection and spirit-outpouring of Jesus Christ. To speak of the Gospel only in terms of "what happens to you after you die," diminishes the work of Jesus, the gift of God and the purpose for a believer. There's so much more! Is this the Gospel you've believed in?